Thursday, September 1, 2011

September's Book

I don't know about you guys, but I am really looking forward to the fall. It could just be the ridiculous heat wave we've been having for the past two weeks, but I am ready for the crisp, cool air of autumn. I love it when it's cold enough that layers are a good idea if you are leaving the house, and I love it even more when it's a better idea to curl up by the fire with a good book. My children have been in school for two weeks now and we are in the "20 minutes a day" reading cycle. It's really got me thinking that we should be doing that, even as adults. Who can't find 20 minutes a day to read for pleasure and keep your brain active!

The start of a new school year has also got me thinking about some old favorites that I read when I was in school. And I thought it might be fun to revisit a classic. So with out further ado... this month's book is: 


Just kidding! Can you imagine? An interesting book, but probably not a good idea to read it when you already feel like you are living it every time you walk down to the play room to keep your children from killing each other over a lego or stuffed animal....

My real choice is:


I have a real love of pioneer and frontier stories. I like that it was a time when hard work and determination were valued and the adventure of building a life and a home where nothing but wilderness had been. I love Laura Ingalls Wilder, Janette Oke, and a new favorite I discovered this summer, Cathy Marie Hake. 

I can't remember if I read Mrs. Mike for the first time in Jr. High or High school, but I haven't read it since I've been married. I think it will be interesting to read it with a new perspective. If nothing else it should make us all very grateful for our modern conveniences. 

I also think it would be interesting to see what books you remember from your school days? Favorites? Stories you absolutely hated? Any that you gave up on and just did the Ciffs Notes to pass the test?

5 comments:

  1. I just about screamed when I saw your Lord of the Flies. What an awful book. But - just for all your entertainment, I will tell you my story that goes with this book. 12th grade AP English. We were taking turns reading aloud during class. It's my turn and I'm reading along, then all of a sudden the class just starts snickering and trying to hide their laughter. I didn't get it. What was funny? Then I re-read, what I had just read. "the heating, pounding of the organism..." I realized that I not said organism at all. Perfect time for a Freudian slip.

    There were other books I did enjoy that year, that was when I really started to enjoy reading. We read Scarlet Letter, which I really did enjoy, and Othello. We read Grapes of Wrath jr year. I think I'd enjoy it more now, then I did then. I should try it again.

    Chrissy - have you read, "These is my words" Such a great frontier story. Loved it!

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah! Chrissy, what did you make me read?! It was all good until the Diptheria epidemic and it kinda went downhill from there for me. so much hardship and sadness. I get that stuff like that happened, but what a way to live! I finished this very late last night so my comments may be colored by a lack of rest. I am glad that they got back together, it seemed like she needed the break in Boston, and as cool as it is that they got some kids at the end, it was sad the way it happened. I know life isn't perfect and that hard, sad things happen all the time. It just felt like a LOT in this book. That being said, once I started, I wanted to keep reading. I don't know that i'll read it again though.

    I have read 'these is my words' and really enjoyed that one(even though it's got a lot of sad too) but the sequels weren't as good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, so the only thing I have to say in my defense is I totally didn't remember it ending this way. I think I had it mixed up in my mind with another book, because I was NOT prepared for the epidemic and all that happened either. I am thinking there was I reason I haven't reread it since jr. high.... :)

    I am glad that I read it too, but I'm with you and don't think I'll be reading it again anytime soon. Maybe in another 20 or so years when I can't remember how it ends again.

    Just be glad it wasn't Lord of the Flies, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I felt kind of blindsided b/c there was no warning. The back of the book just described it as being a love story and Chrissy didn't give us a heads up. Good thing you've got a forgetful memory in your defense, Chrissy. ; )

    The things that really got to me was the gore, men beating women, women killing their own babies, etc. Good thing she there was positive to balance it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I may very well catch a lot of flack for this, but the worst book I read in high school was definitely Wuthering Heights. I know this is a group that loves a good romance story, but I just couldn't get through that one! Every girl was named Catherine or Kathy and all the boys were Heathcliff! I couldn't keep it all straight! Maybe if I tried again now, things would be different...
    On the other hand, there were plenty of books that I loved! "In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote is a true masterpiece of literature. I also loved "East of Eden" by John Steinbeck and "The Great Gatsby." I've reread all of them multiple times. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete