Friday, December 31, 2010

The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett

Okay folks, I'd like to kick start this adventure by combining something new with something already cherished. I am a big fantasy fan, and one of my all time favorite authors is Terry Pratchett.

I fell in love with this author two chapters into the first book of his that I ever read; I laughed my way through the entire book and didn't realize until the end how much he made me reexamine my own perspectives. I love the way his no-nonsense characters work so hard to find (and then maintain...which is much harder than the finding) some sort of order in their totally nonsensical world. And although Mr. Pratchett has written several books full of wonderful characters, I'd like to introduce you to his newest series: The Tiffany Aching Adventures.

Our January book is the first book in the series, The Wee Free Men.
Now, bear in mind, you don't have to read past the first one if you don't want to...but if you're anything like me, you won't be able to stop after just one! Should you feel inclined to read on, the rest of the series continues as follows:

A Hat Full of Sky
Wintersmith
I Shall Wear Midnight

I would also recommend that this particular series be read in chronological order. (Again, you don't have to, but I'm kind of anal that way...so if you do read them out of order, don't tell me.)
These are shorter young adult novels, so you could very easily finish the entire series before February.

I wish you all happy reading in a brand new year and look forward to hearing what you thought of my choice!

1 comment:

  1. Just finished The Wee Free Men. I see what you mean Caitlin, as funny as this book is, it also makes you think about how you see your world. Good choice.

    ReplyDelete