Saturday, August 6, 2011

August's Book



I know we've fallen a bit behind on our first of the month announcement, but I hope this month's recommendation will spark some good discussion points to make up for it!

The book we've chosen is The Help by Kathryn Stockett.

I'm sure many of us have already heard a lot about this book or the movie version that will be released on the 12th. I know I heard about it from several sources: Elena, two of my coworkers, movie trailers, and one very talkative patient. It reminded me of when Harry Potter first hit the shelves and everyone was getting worked up about it--and I decided I didn't want to read it for that very reason. By the time I finally broke down and read the first book I was kicking myself for not doing it sooner! It ended up being one of my favorites and I promised I wouldn't make such a stupid choice again.

The Help was meant to generate talk--and once you read it, you'll know why!

I picked it up on a whim two days ago and didn't put it down until I had finished it. At first I was sure I wouldn't like it. It struck me as too "book clubbish." The kind of thing they'd recommend on Oprah or make you read in a high school English class...the kind of book my mother adored, and therefore was probably going to be sooo depressing... I was mistaken.

These women's stories are so endearing and honest--achingly familiar even though I hardly have anything in common with them. I found it so surreal that these women's lives were considered the norm a scant 50 years ago...But I think what struck me most, was not the anger, fear, and frustration that you'd expect a book about the Civil Rights movement to contain: but the love in these women's lives. I never thought, until this book, that it was love, admiration, and a kinship that could not--would not--be denied that forged the path to Civil Rights.

People didn't suddenly get fed up with being mistreated. They'd been mistreated for years and withstood it. People could no longer accept being denied the ability to show their love, no matter who it was for.

I hope that if you choose to read this book that it will serve as your "secret story;" and that it will remind you to take the time to tell the ones you love that:

"You is kind. You is smart. You is important."

4 comments:

  1. You is kind, you is smart, and you is important. - Oh so true. I think we all need to hear that! (and we all need Abilene in our lives.. and a Minny too.)
    I'm excited this is the book for the month, I think I may read it again. I enjoyed it the first time so much.

    I also want to know what your "terrible awful" may be :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to read this book, but it's always checked out in the library. Anyone have a copy I can borrow?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually listened to this book on CD. I don't recommend it, because all I wanted to do was drive for hours so I could continue the story! (though the voices did add a certain charm to the story)

    I loved this book, glad this it's this month's choice.

    Em, I might still have the CDs if you want to litsten to it. I know I just said I wouldn't recommend it that way, but the more I think about how real and personal it seemed, I did enjoy it

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually read this month's book this month! I enjoyed it, but felt like it ended too abruptly. I wanted to see Hilly really get her come-uppence. I found the first part hard going, especially reading about Mae Mobley just about broke my heart. Still a great read and I'm glad you picked it Caite!

    ReplyDelete