Sunday, July 10, 2011

Who Done It?

Hint: It isn't the butler! (However, I am very tempted to have everyone phrase their guesses as if we were playing Clue..."It was So-and-So in the library with the title.")

Before we begin, I would like to send a big thank you to all the lovely ladies who agreed to play along with me this month. I hope you enjoy as many books as you can! (FYI, all the book descriptions have been transcribed word for word, as written by each submitter.)

And now, without any further suspense, may I present "A Novel Riddle" by Caitlin States:

The Suspects: Chrissy, Sarah, Caitlin, Tiffany, Mary, Elena

The Books:
Cross Bones by Kathy Reichs
A fabulous murder mystery that spans the centuries and whips you back and forth between the feeling that you know what is going on, and the ever-so-fun twist that confuses you fancily.

The BFG by Roald Dahl
Whenever I think of this book, it brings back the enjoyment I had reading it as a kid. This may have been the first book that prompted me to actually pay attention to the author and find other books written by the same. The story really took me in. Dreams fascinate and scare me, so the portrayal of why we dream was really interesting to me. I loved the idea of the "runt" doing good even when it's unpleasant, because that's just who he is. And I just love the imagination and creativity of Mr. Dahl. Who else would think of riding in an ear turned horizontal?

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows
Set in both London and Guernsey Island, this novel follows author Juliet as she becomes friends with the inhabitants of the island shortly after the end of WWII. Told in epistolary style, Juliet learns of the occupied island and its deprivations, as well as the resounding spirit of the people who live there. As she writes, she becomes more and more intrigued with the stories of the people who survived the hard times, and she decides to create a book based on their experiences. In order to gather more information, Juliet moves temporarily to the island and soon finds herself immersed in the culture and relationships.

The Princess Bride by William Goldman
I find it hilarious. I like hilarious.

My Grandfather's Blessings by Rachel Naomi Remen
A book of short stories written by a woman who has walked many different paths in life and found richness and blessings in each one. I consider this book to be an old friend, gently urging me to look at each life experience with fresh eyes and find something to love in it.

The Elenium by David Eddings
For those who can't find it in one collection, the books are: The Diamond Throne, The Ruby Knight, and The Sapphire Rose. This is one of my all time favorite fantasy writers. He has an amazing ability to craft a world that makes sense and sucks you in. I have read everything he's written, but this series is my favorite. I love the characters and the story lines, while complex, are not so convoluted that they are hard to follow. I think that this kind of book makes for perfect summertime reading, great for camping, hanging out at the park, or reading out loud on road trips. I hope you'll give it a try, and enjoy it as much as I do!

All right, ladies, let the reading commence! Best of luck to you all in your guesses!


No comments:

Post a Comment