Tuesday, July 5, 2011

"Come, Watson! The game is afoot!"

Well I don't know about the rest of you, but with the coming of summer I've gotten a bit lax about keeping up with each month's book (and more specifically about posting). So how about we all take a moment to refresh our literary enthusiasm with a game?

I've been reading quite a few mystery novels and watching a lot of police drama lately, so I thought I'd take inspiration from that ever-popular genre to create a guessing game to test our inner detectives.

Here's how it works:


1) If you would like to play, email me (Caitlin--address is listed in the sidebar) the title of one of your all time favorite books by Saturday, July 9th. (And yes, you do have to pick just one!) Please also include a little bit about the book. It can be either the reason you like it so much or a synopsis of the story. DISCLAIMER: Please leave out any tell-tale personal details in your description, or the game won't work!


2) Starting Sunday the 10th, I will post two lists: one with all the titles and one with the names of the players--in no particular order. The object of the game is to guess which lady goes belongs to which book recommendation. (And if two people recommend the same book...well, then I guess that just evens every one's chances a bit!) Now, for obvious reasons, I won't be able to participate in the guessing; however, I hope no one will object to me putting in a submission of my own.


3) READ! I do realize that you all have busy schedules, children, husbands, jobs, and projects housework that needs doing... But in the carefree spirit of summer I hope you will treat this month like a recommend 'wild card.' Consider each submission as 'the book of the month!' If more than one title catches your eye, then by all means read as many of the books as you can! If more than one doesn't seem to be your cup of tea, than take this month as an opportunity to curl up with an old favorite. In any case, consider that reading the book will give you a better chance of making a correct guess!


4) Award Time! Now, in my humble opinion, games are more fun with prizes. So by the end of the month, meaning the 30th, each participant needs to email with their best guess of which book belongs to which lady. The person with the most correct guesses will be given a $20 gift card to Barnes & Noble. (C'mon, what's better than free book money?!) I will announce the winner on Sunday the 31st.


So, to any and all who have an inner Sherlock Holmes, Hercule Poirot, Miss Marple, Nancy Drew or Hardy Boy, I invite you to spice up your summer reading and play a little game with me!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting...Sorry, I just read this post today. I'll try to get an email out asap, but picking just one book is going to be SUPER hard.

    ReplyDelete