Monday, May 9, 2011

I read it!

So...I've tried to comment on a couple of posts and I keep having issues with blogger saying I'm not signed in or something.  Hence, the new post rather than comment. 

I just finished this book tonight.  I have always loved reading about different time periods and have had a certain fascination with life in America during the 50s, so that part was really up my alley.  I was slightly disturbed by the random swearing and complete fascination with seeing a naked woman, but then I never was a teen aged boy.  I loved the little 'world news' tidbits that were included, like the fact that New York restaurant goers were exempt from the drills because they would never go back and pay their bills.  I found the toity jar story pretty much hilarious.  I've often thought we lost something precious with the end of the 50s, but I am seeing a little better now how the 50s themselves led to what came next as each generation does.  I think it's important to know what we're coming from.  Our kids will never know a world like the one we grew up in, just as our growing up years were so different from our parents'.

I did kind of wonder how a guy who seemed to love America so much ended up living in England, but whatever.  I may try to read some of his other books.  Thanks for the introduction, Elena!

No comments:

Post a Comment