Thursday, March 10, 2011

Do Tell, My Dear

Okay, so I just barely finished S&C and have decided that I officially found it awesome. I think it's perfect for a bit of escapist fun.

I admit I was a little thrown at the beginning when there casual references to magic in the midst of an ordinary description of neighborhood outings and daily doings; but the more I read, the more I enjoyed both girls' level-headed approach to the silly magical mishaps of the gentlemen. (And gentlemen can be so very silly sometimes!...I don't know why they didn't think to smash the darn thing in the first place.)

However, I think what I enjoyed most was the way these two authors--who probably have very different writing styles and ideas of how the story could go--were able to craft such a seamless tale. It makes me wonder whether they had to collaborate on the story outside of the letters, or if it was like a giant Improv game and they just took each others cues to keep the ball rolling. Either way, what a fun idea and great story.

I also really admired the flavor they gave to their characters. (I couldn't think of another word that would convey the meaning I wanted...) I found myself really identifying with the girls and cheering on their every attempt to aid their unwilling cohorts. The whole book reminded me of a quote I read once that said, "There is nothing really wrong with the world that two sensible women cannot solve during afternoon tea." I wish I could remember who said it...

Anyhow, after reading this and starting onto Pride and Prejudice, it has given me an irresistible urge to go buy stationery, break out my calligraphy supplies and start writing lots of letters. Books like this always make me think slightly bitter thoughts towards Facebook and cell phone texting plans. They took all the fun out of waiting for "the post," and turned something as simple as a well-crafted letter into "a lost art" instead of a "social grace." Boo.

1 comment: