Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Spotlight Wednesdays

This week's spotlight is my favorite sister in law on my side of the family! :)  Elena is one of those people who's smile is just infectious and she always brings happiness and sunshine into any room she enters. She works from home and takes care of her busy two year old son, while my brother is working his way through a master's program at the University of Maryland. We miss them like crazy, but they are having such an adventure getting to be back east surrounded by all that history and culture!

1. Do you have a favorite author or genre? And if so what do you find most appealing about them?

I enjoy fiction. I still consider myself a new reader, so I'm finding what I like to read. I enjoy things that make me laugh and cry and help me learn something new, or see a new perspective in life.

2. If you could have tea (or lunch, or any meal really, tea just feels more book clubbish, doesn't it?) with any three characters from all of literature who would it be?

That's a tough one! I guess Elizabeth from Guernsey Literary P.P.S., Shakespeare, and maybe Ender.  It would be quite entertaining and enlightening!

3. Do you have a favorite reading or book related quote?

"I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves."  ~Anna Quindlen
"You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend."  ~Paul Sweeney. 
This last quote came quite true just recently for me when I finished These Is My Words. I really did cry when it was over, not just because of the story, but I was sad it was over!

4. Where is your favorite place to read?

Lately it's been on our recliner. I get 2 pillows and a big puffy down blanket and snuggle up. It's heavenly. Our bed is nice too, except that requires 5-6 pillows instead of just 2. I find I like to ready while sitting up more than laying down.

5. Do you have any funny reading quirks? (Like having to read things in numerical order or not reading books that start with the letter Q? Something like that?)

Not particularly. But I am not the type of person that reads the ending to see if I'll like it or not. If I do read a series, of course the first one has to come first!

6. How many books are currently by your bed (on your nightstand or on the floor?) How many of those are you in the middle of reading?

There are 2 actual paper books on my nightstand, 3 in the bathroom, but another 23 in my new kindle 

7. Do you have a favorite children's book?

Love You Forever always makes me cry. There is this cute book called "A Pair of Red Clogs" that I loved when I was younger. The little girl gets a shiny new pair of red clogs, and then while playing a game where you kick your shoes up in the air and depending on how they land you get a certain fortune. I'd always be kicking my shoes on the way home from school after that. Luckily, unlike hers, mine didn't get broken.

8. What is your earliest book related memory?

I was lucky enough to have my mom read to me at night up until I was maybe 6 or 7 because I loved it! I think it was her chance to get a quiet moment after teaching for the day. I always thought it was funny that she would fall asleep while reading the story. I'd always have to nudge her awake to keep reading. Now as a parent, I can totally understand how that can happen!

9. What is most amount of money you have ever had to pay in library fines?

Wow... maybe like $1.50. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing, I'm not sure!

10. Do you have any great story to share about trying to multi-task while reading? (i.e. walking into something while your nose was in a book?)

Not really walking into anything, but I am not good about keeping control of myself while reading in public. I laugh out loud, and very often cry while reading books.  I remember during silent reading time in 3rd grade, the book I was reading was hilarious, and I just busted out. Every one thought I was crazy I'm sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment