Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Pride and Prejudice

Happy March!  So. Like I said before, I'm not a big reader.  I got through high school (with A's, mind you) reading only two novels.  (I'm a big fan of Cliff Notes.)  Reading was never really that important to me, but now that it's time for me to start thinking about my children's education, I've realized that I don't want them to miss out on reading and all the good things that come from it.  So, I need to set a good example, and become a woman well versed in literature.  I don't know.  It sounds nice.  I figured I wanted to go back to "classics" that I never read and start there, which leads us to:
 I'm probably the only girl on the planet that hasn't read Pride and Prejudice or even seen any of the multiple movie versions.  My sister loves it, and one summer watched the A&E version every night, which made me kind of loathe it.  I refused to watch with her, but by the end of the summer, started to secretly want to watch it.  So, I hope you all like it enough to read it again (I'm sure you've all read it before), and here's to my new, super reader-y self.  
Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I am so thrilled that someone choose this. Jane Austen is one of my favorites, though I know she isn't everyones cup of tea. I am especially interested in seeing others opinions in comparing the book we just read, which was set in Regency period England, and this month's, which was written during the Regency period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacy, I hope you love it as much as I do! I always watch a Jane Austen-ish movie (whether about her or one of her novels set to film) while I'm sewing and I have all of the different versions of P&P except bride and prejudice and the BBC pride and prejudice (which I didn't care for)...I can't seem to get enough of it!

    Everyone loves Mr. Darcy, but I recently have really started to enjoy Mr. Bingley. He's kind and steady and happy and reminds me A LOT of my hubby Steven. So, to each his own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I avoided this book for years. It was a favorite of everyone I knew so I stubbornly refused to read it (or any Jane Austen for that matter). I finally broke down and took it on the cruise I went on right before K and I got married. I felt like I'd already read it since the story was so familiar. So many authors seem to re-tell this story it seemed like a rip-off to me, except I'm sure it came first. I own the Newest P&P movie and the Bollywood Bride and Prejudice which is hilarious. We should watch them together sometime.

    ReplyDelete