Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Spotlight Wednesdays

The spotlight today is Mary, another cousin. (Anyone noticing a theme around here?) She is also  Sarah's sister. She is a new mommy to an adorable baby boy and a very talented musician.  And her husband makes shoes, how cool is that? :)

1. Do you have a favorite author or genre? And if so what do you find most appealing about them?


I go in phases.  I'm usually up for a good fantasy, though.  I like stories that pull me in, whatever the genre.


2. If you could have tea (or lunch, or any meal really, tea just feels more book clubbish, doesn't it?) with any three characters from all of literature who would it be?


umm. . . foggy brain. . .


3. Do you have a favorite reading or book related quote


Well. . . I thought about looking one up, but the truth is I really don't.  The song from Reading Rainbow does come to mind, however. . .


4. Where is your favorite place to read?


Lately, on the couch or in my bed (often while I'm nursing.) When I was in middle school, I used to make a nest of sorts out of pillows and blankets and just stay there all day, reading.  Drove my brother nuts.


5. Do you have any funny reading quirks? (Like having to read things in numerical order or not reading books that start with the letter Q? Something like that?)


I definitely like to read things in order, and all the way through.  I'm a little peeved right now because my library doesn't have the 4th Wee Free Men book.  


I go in long phases when I feel like if I'm eating, I should be reading.  Now is not one of those phases, because it's a little hard to eat and nurse and read.  (If you haven't guessed by now, I have a new baby. :)  He's six weeks on Thursday.)  


It's really hard for me to stop reading when I'm not in a stopping place.  "Let me just finish this chapter" is a sentence I have spoken probably way too many times.  Especially since one chapter often turns into two. . .


Other things tend to seem unimportant when I'm into a book.  I rarely read for recreation during school.  If I did, chances are my homework didn't get done that night, but the book definitely did.


Don't know if any of that is really quirky, but there you go.


6. How many books are currently by your bed (on your nightstand or on the floor?) How many of those are you in the middle of reading?


I don't dabble in multiple books at a time.  I read one all the way through before moving on to the next.  I'm that way with food too--I'm not a mixer.  That being said, I do have a stack of Reader's Digest by my bed at the moment since my mom gave them to me for middle-of-the-night nursing entertainment.


7. Do you have a favorite children's book?


The first one that comes to mind is The Tawny Lion.  I love the resourceful rabbit.  Soup never sounded so good.


8. What is your earliest book related memory?


My early reading memories are actually negative.  I hated learning to read.  It was so hard at first.  I was not at all convinced that I would actually need it in life like my mom said.  I'm not sure when it happened, but eventually I fell in love with it.


Another early memory I have is a recurring nightmare I had after someone read me Puff the Magic Dragon as a bedtime story.


9. What is most amount of money you have ever had to pay in library fines?


I'm not sure I have ever paid a fine.  I maybe paid 25 cents once. . .


10. Do you have any great story to share about trying to multi-task while reading? (i.e. walking into something while your nose was in a book?)


Mostly just my husband getting frustrated if I try to read while he's talking to me.

2 comments:

  1. I read The Tawny Scrawny Lion to my boys now. And I never knew you struggled to learn to read. Huh. Good thing we joined this book club together.

    ReplyDelete