Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Sorcery & Cecilia

WARNING: I MIGHT BE SPOILING A BIT OF THE BOOK'S ENDING, SO IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED OR DON'T WANT TO KNOW,  DON'T READ THIS POST UNTIL AFTER YOU'VE FINISHED THE BOOK. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.

I finished the book on Sunday. I've had a nasty head cold, but the bright side of things, it allowed me to have an excuse to do nothing but read.

I had a hard time keeping up with the new characters...might just be my scatter-brained mind. I felt that a lot of new characters were introduced all at once. However, this was the only "con" if you want to call it that. On the other hand, the book had an intriguing storyline, I loved the correspondence between Kate and Cecilia. I realized I had reached the last letter going, "What? It's at the end already?" Not knowing what was about to happen with either character had me hooked and I seriously had no choice but to keep reading. It had a very Barbara Cartland feel to it--not so much the amount of drama that you'd find in her books, but the characters and conversations led me to think that I was reading one of her books. I thought it was AWESOME that both Kate and Cecilia had the whole Mr. Darcy-Pride-and-Prejudice thing going on with their future hubbies, Thomas and James. I loved how Cecilia took matters into her own hands and performed the simplest and clearest way to solve Thomas's problem--smash the darn chocolate pot! I think I will be reading the rest of the series....

Thanks, Sarah, for the book recommendation!

3 comments:

  1. I know, right? I'm a little hooked too. I kept thinking that if I put down the book, Thomas would get worse. So, I had to keep reading, you know, to help find a solution. I did think that it was a really simple ending. Really? That's all they had to do? All in all, it left me smiling. And just having read Romeo and Juliette (which is much too sappy/lovey-dovey for me), I loved their relationships too :) I enjoyed it! Thanks, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked it! I must warn you, having read the other two books, they are not quite as enthralling. One of them in particular (I think it's called the Grand Tour) drags quite a bit. But I read them anyway, because I like to finish what I start, especially when it comes to series of books. Except for that dumb Twilight series...never finished that. (I might get banned from the club for writing that)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No banning indeed!
    I just finished the book last night also. I agree that at first, it was a little hard to keep all the characters and their locations straight, but like Tiffany, maybe I was just tired.
    I did very much enjoy the breaking of the chocolate pot. So simple, yet so effective. I laughed as I pictured her trying to "clean" the chocolate by just spreading it out more. Very funny. Fun book!

    ReplyDelete