Saturday, February 12, 2011

An Unexpected Turn of Events

I'm not done reading this month's book, but I have another topic in mind that I'd like your opinions on; namely, the biggest question to be argued over amongst well-read people the world over--its controversy akin to the Nature vs. Nurture debate--which are better, books or movies?

Now, let me be frank, I have been a fence-sitter on this issue in the past. I love books and movies equally. I believe books have the power to introduce new worlds to the human imagination and possess an amazing capacity for flexibility. For example, even though we can all read the same book, we will all see a different version of the story and meet different characters based on our unique points of view and individual subconscious whims. And there is no limit to what we can create in our minds!

I also love movies. I love the way they can impact the senses and pack so much emotion into so short a time. I always leave epic films feeling slightly exhausted--having lived the course of an entire tale in the space of a few hours. I enjoy seeing someone else's interpretation of a story and the way that were able to imagine something that would never have occurred to me--it's an exciting way to open your mind to new possibilities!

However, that being said, when it comes down to it and they turn a book into a movie, I have always enjoyed the book a little bit more. Maybe it's because the book can provide more plot substance and character detail because it has no budget or time restrictions...I don't really know. But about a month ago I experienced something totally alien...I found a book I didn't like as much as the movie!

It was "Stardust" by Neil Gaiman. I found the book on CD and thought it would be fun to listen to during my commute to/from work. When I first saw the movie by the same title and based off his work, I was caught totally by surprise. I found the story and characters unexpected, refreshing, and fun--above all fun. I left the theatre smiling to myself and quoting my favorite parts over and over again. And as soon as it came out on DVD I snatched it up to take it home to enjoy it again. So, when I saw the book in the library I thought, "Hot dog! This is going to be awesome. I loved the movie so I bet the book will be even better!"

About three quarters of the way through the CDs I finally gave up. Where was the humor I admired in the movie? Why did the characters strike me as more whiny and less lovable than I recalled?And why, in heaven's name, was my all-time favorite character from the show only mentioned in brief passing in the book and then apparently forgotten as being inconsequential? I was shocked. This wasn't right. This wasn't how the world worked. Books were always better than movies...

Which leads to the one question I haven't been able to answer myself yet: Is it really true that books are always better? Or is it that whichever way we experience the story first is the way we will cherish in our memories?

Thoughts, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment